Saturday, March 17, 2018

Songs to the Siren

I hope we all know what a siren is, apart from the annoying noise made by emergency vehicles. In any event, the song that inspired these paintings is infinitely superior to the paintings they inspired. Obviously. Lyrics posted below the images.





Song to the Siren (originally by Tim Buckley, covered by This Mortal Coil)

Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was forced out
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow
Oh my heart, Oh my heart shies from the sorrow"
Well I'm as puzzled as the newborn child
I'm as riddled as the tide
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or should I lie with death, my bride?
Hear me sing, "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you
Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you"

No comments:

Post a Comment