Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Fennesz

I wrote some thoughts about the new Fennesz album, Agora for PopMatters. This new gig writing album reviews is interesting, because there is such a variety of genres to write about, but I particularly like writing about electronic music. It allows you to be be both abstract and fairly specific at the same time, so there's some latitude for creative thinking, rather than simply writing the equivalent of a book report. The review is here. It gets a bit, um, pretentious, but it was liberating to let my mind go to some places it doesn't get to go much any more, post-graduate school. I also really liked the album, which makes it easier to write sometimes, even though it's still fun to go to town on something I really dislike, but as I get older that just feels gratuitously mean.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment